Monday, March 22, 2010

Thinking About the Poor Again.

Read Isaiah 50:4-9a.

"The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher..." (verse 4)

So as a teacher, I am always rethinking things, playing things over to see how I can improve something. I'm not going to talk about Isaiah for the moment because I've been thinking about Jesus' statement on the poor I wrote about Saturday. I couldn't shake that line even though I didn't preach on it. I read a short and cogent discussion of this line in Sundays and Seasons and the argument went like this: Jesus says the poor will always be with the disciples because that is where Christians are called to be. This idea just blew my mind, not because it is complex and "deep" but because it is so obvious once you read it that way. And it puts me in touch with the place inside of me that wonders what the point of my life is...in a good way. Am I with the poor, not the spiritualized poor, but the real poor?

Reflection
  • Where does your call take you?
  • Is there somewhere you long to be in communion with the poor but find your circumstances constrain you?
Prayer

Gracious God, we give thanks for your honesty, for reminders of our special reality as Christians. Help us to fulfill our call to the poor. Give us strength through your Son, Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment