Saturday, March 27, 2010

Here ends our Reading

Read any portion of Jesus' journey in Jerusalem from chapter 19 onward. Chapters 22 +23 depict his Passion.

Well, friends: we have reached our destination: Jerusalem. And I have some thoughts to share on the Lenten journey we've been taking here online and at Hope as well.

1) As for the blog...this was a fascinating project. In the last few days, I have not been posting ahead of schedule as I did in the beginning. But in the weeks when I was on the ball, it was an amazing thing to be writing about the lectionary, planning for worship and midweek services, preparing sermons, and encountering our parishioners. Writing that much on the Word shaped how I interpreted my experience as one of your leaders and it gave me space to have insights I could then carry into church. I will continue to write something on-line or otherwise in the weeks ahead to stay sharp and in tune with the Holy Spirit.

2) I read a lovely essay by a scholar who I now cannot recall (maybe Melinda Quivik on workingpreacher.org) who cast the Lenten readings this year as stories about the collision of different kinds of power. And it was these conflicts that brought Jesus to the cross. She named Jesus vs. the Devil, Herod's oppressive rule vs. the sacrificial grace of the mother hen, Mary' discipleship vs. Judas' betrayal. Which side do we come down on? Jesus went to the cross freely to guarantee the answer to that question.

3) Today I read over my evaluations from Lenten participants who gave me feedback on the series. I encountered something wildly surprising. The one commonality among nearly every evaluation was the appreciation of silence. How amazing is that? I never would have suspected that would be the experience people responded to the most. That tells me that the congregation is hungry for the presence of God and that is a beautiful thing. I've also noticed recently that our members are hungry for the Word. I've encountered real craving for more unmediated encounters with scripture and questions of scripture in recent days. That too tells me there is hunger. And as I said a couple sermons ago, there is nothing Jesus loves better than a hungry human being.

4) I wish you a blessed and peaceful Holy Week. I look forward to our coming declaration of new life. Thank you for your participation and insights. If you want to tell me how this devotional format worked for you and how you used the postings, email me at internpastor@yahoo.com.

Your Sister in Christ,

I. Pastor Amy

Let us pray: God of mystery, we give thanks for the space you have made in us to greet you again and again in our lives. Strengthen and enliven us in the coming days that we might worthily magnify your Holy Name. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Dear Pastor Amy,
    Thank you for your devotion to this project, for your scholarship, and your willingness to put your ideas out there for others. My experience of Lent was enriched by your work. I also used your ideas as springboards for further reflection.

    ReplyDelete