Friday, March 26, 2010

Resisting One's Own Power

Read again Philippians 2:5-11.

"Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited..." (verse 5).

This whole hymn is one of those pieces of scripture that has been formative for me. I had a small obsession with the Christians mystics ten or so years ago which was fueled by this very notion of self-emptying. The trouble though was that I found it impossible to achieve the kind of self-emptied state of being my mystical tutors seemed to reach. I think having a child and rock climbing when it involves sheer terror were the closest I ever got to releasing my self-awareness.

Now though, what catches me, what I wish I could model well is this idea of resisting the drive to exploit other people. In every aspect of my life, I am aware of my power to abuse my authority in an effort to get what I want, even if it's the best thing for the other person. It's easy to exploit my size and role over my daughter. It's easy to exploit the power a loved one gives me to manipulate my way to a desired end. And I'm ever mindful that although I am an intern, I've been given power. How do I use it? It's unpopular for Lutherans to look at living Christ-like lives. More than unpopular, it's discouraged as inconsistent with some of our beliefs. But there's something to be said for looking to God for some guidelines in loving other people, knowing full well we will fail sometimes. Christian life is wildly counter-cultural and goes against so many of our expectations. What would it look like if we all gave up our power?

Reflection
  • How do you resist exploiting your power over your circles of influence?
  • Are there aspects of Christ Jesus you make a conscious effort to incorporate into your daily living?
Prayer

God, we pray for strength and wisdom, especially in the days ahead. Help us to receive the gift of your death and new life, to know you more fully. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Hard to believe there aren't more comments in this blog. This entry holds great meaning for me; thank you for birthing it and for your candid revelations. I am coming to terms with my own tendency to effect outcomes utilizing cunning and manipulative tactics. I'm attempting to detach from these adaptive mechanisms which have recently been presenting decidedly maladaptively.

    ReplyDelete