Thursday, March 25, 2010

Humility and Understanding

Read Philippians 2:5-11.

"And being found in human form, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death -- even death on a cross." (verse 7b-8).

A relative of mine just returned from a truth and reconciliation mission in a section of war-ravaged Africa. He is young and has seen things and heard stories that many of us may not be able to fathom. As you might imagine for a young guy with ideals and a generally positive attitude regarding human nature, he was pretty challenged overseas. He came home deeply cynical and is at a loss with how to frame this experience he has had.

I went through something similar in my early twenties. I preached about it a little last fall when I talked about the hope of apocalyptic literature, its bend toward justice, and how that meant something to me working in a huge urban high school where the forgotten were taught and harnessed from the streets. Lucky for me I had Kathleen Norris and Thomas Merton to put into theological terms human suffering. I remember reading a story about a murdered girl in Central America who died a horrible death, a martyr's death, and with the name of Jesus on her lips. Kathleen Norris speaks about her in her book The Cloister Walk. This episode was my insight into the point of the cross. IT'S STILL HAPPENING!! Jesus is crucified all the time. So if that's true, God takes every meaningless death and places it within a bigger story of the powerless and resurrection. My relative has no notion of saint and sinner or the redemption made possible by Jesus Christ, or even the idea of incarnate love which burned inside of him in Africa. I trust he's going to find a way though. I am thankful that when I seemed to need it, the self-emptying and humbling love of God made itself clear.

Reflection
  • When have you found yourself living out a Bible passage or story?
  • How do you make sense of seemingly meaningless loss of life?
Prayer

God of wonders who humbled yourself for us, how we need you and your ways with us to order our world. Be with us in our moments of doubt and temptation. Draw us to you when we find ourselves lost. This we ask in your Holy Name, Amen

1 comment:

  1. Pastor Amy--great blog--keep it up. Thanks for putting it out there.

    ReplyDelete